And now it’s time for Book Riot’s 2018 Read Harder Challenge!
Just like last year, I’ll be going in with a plan, but I fully expect my results to be quite different. In addition to this challenge, I’ve also made it a goal to read 110 books this year.
- A book published posthumously.
The Rogue Crew by Brian Jacques
- A book of true crime.
Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption by Brian Stevenson
- A classic of genre fiction.
The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin
- A comic written and illustrated by the same person.
Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi
- A book set in or about one of the five BRICS countries.
The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden
- A book about nature.
The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They Communicate—Discoveries from a Secret World by Peter Wohlleben
- A western.
One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus
- A comic written or illustrated by a person of color.
Black Panther: Long Live the King by Nnedi
- A book of colonial or postcolonial literature.
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez
- A romance novel by or about a person of color.
An Extraordinary Union by Alyssa Cole
- A children’s classic published before 1980.
A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin
- A celebrity memoir.
Where Am I Now? by Mara Wilson
- An Oprah Book Club selection.
Night by Elie Wiesel
- A book of social science.
Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance
- A one-sitting book.
The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper by Phaedra Patrick
- The first book in a new-to-you YA or middle-grade series.
Everless by Sara Holland
- A sci-fi novel with a female protagonist by a female author.
The Stars are Legion by Kameron Hurley
- A comic that isn’t published by Marvel, DC, or Image.
Lumberjanes: To The Max Edition, Vol. 2 by Noelle Stevenson, Shannon Watters, Brooke Allen
- A book of genre fiction in translation.
Fever Dream by Samanta Schweblin
- A book with a cover you hate.
1Q84 by Haruki Murakami
- A mystery by a person of color or LGBTQ+ author.
A Spy in the House by Y.S. Lee
- An essay anthology.
Essays and Poems (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) by Ralph Waldo Emerson
- A book with a female protagonist over the age of 60.
Still Water Saints by Alex Espinoza
- An assigned book you hated (or never finished).
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë